Court of Protection banner

Our Services

Home / Our Services / Wills and Probate / Court of Protection

Court of Protection

If a loved one or someone close to you has lost mental capacity and has not granted authority for someone to act on their behalf, their finances may be frozen or medical professionals may not want to carry out some treatments in non-emergency situations.

In such circumstances, an application is necessary to the Court of Protection to appoint one or more ‘Deputies’ to act on the patient’s behalf.

This requires evidence from a doctor to confirm that the patient has lost mental capacity and an application to the Court of Protection for the appointment. Notice must be served on people connected to the patient and the Court also requires a fair amount of information so that it can consider properly the application. A separate application is required for financial affairs and for health and welfare. We can advise on such an application and prepare the forms and submit them to the Court on your behalf.

For further information or to speak to one of our experts, please call 020 8800 8866